Out of the Notebook and into the blog: DIY: Preppy Cape/Cloak

Monday, January 19, 2015

DIY: Preppy Cape/Cloak



I was inspired by this DIY cape tutorial, and endless hours of re-watching Gossips Girl and seeing how gorgeous Blair's classic style truly is.  At first, I envisioned creating a cape like the one in the tutorial, longer, more of a winter style, black and white.  Life is full of surprises though, and I fell in love with this flannel fabric at Joanns, and my vision took a 360, I wanted a color, regal cranberry velvet, a classic "preppy" look.

DIY Tips:

I definitely recommend this pattern for the cloak, it is extremely easy to follow and you can modify it to your liking!  For some more inspiration, I curated a few different ideas onto a pinterest board.

If you want your cloak shorter, as mine is, look for 45inch fabric!  It says the width of the fabric on the label by the price on the bolt.

The velvet I found for the trim was in the by the yard ribbon section at Joanns!

Blairs take on  shorter cape:

















2 comments:

  1. Lovely! You really tempt to me pull out my sewing machine one more time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You definitely should, but then you'll probably get addicted ;)

      Delete

Hi Pretties - leave a comment and you'll forever have a place in my heart <3