Out of the Notebook and into the blog: College Jobs Suck but on the flip side…(Pt. 1)

Saturday, September 13, 2014

College Jobs Suck but on the flip side…(Pt. 1)

Jon Setzen on The Great Discontent

“I’ve had shitty jobs and internships: folding t-shirts at radio stations, working in a stock room at Nordstrom, delivering pizzas, and all of that. It’s important to have those shitty jobs so you understand when you actually find a good job.”
- Jon Setzen

My friend and I were just talking about this very struggle of having a sucky job during college.  We have both worked horrible jobs since 16, from a family owned grocery store that had black mold in the walls, to Joann Fabrics, to my current job as a server at Red Lobster.  

I can't say any of these jobs are ones that I have woken up in the morning and think to myself "oh my goodness, I am so excited to stock groceries, cut fabric, or promote shrimp!!!"  

These minuscule jobs, entry level positions, don't fulfill a greater desire to help out, to use the skills God gave us.  They are fine at first, something new, "hey I like to sew so I'll probably love working at Joanns!"  However, they grow stagnant as soon as you realize that you are just a person that truly doesn't have a impact on the majority of the people you interact with throughout the day.  

That's why I'm going to college.  That's why I read books.  That's why I search for every opportunity that is available for me and I take it, even if is scary or riskier.  I am searching for that "good job" the one that I will wake up in the morning and know that I am doing what I love.  Isn't that why we are all going to college?

My follow up post is going to be about an amazingly intriguing topic to me, why do these jobs suck so bad, and how as business owners/entrepreneurs/managers can we make them not suck so badly?  Hit subscribe to catch the next post! 

BTW - check out Jon Setzens blog, he's got some pretty legitimate stuff. 

Tell me - what are some of the worst jobs you've ever had?  I could listen to these stories for hours!  Leave a comment to let me know and I'll feature some of the worst ones with a link back to your blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi Pretties - leave a comment and you'll forever have a place in my heart <3