Out of the Notebook and into the blog: 10 Tips for your first Adult Ballet Class

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

10 Tips for your first Adult Ballet Class


Source: Unknown 






































I began ballet as an 18 year old, very old to start ballet.  I walked into THE professional ballet company in Minnesota, Metropolitan Ballet Academy, and was immediately in love with the classical music playing, the chandelier hanging from the ceiling, bars full of girls wearing black leotards and pink tights.  I never looked back, from my first leotard purchase to my role in the Nutcracker as a rat, and my first pair of pointe shoes, it has been one of my favorite life experiences.

I think the single most important thing to consider before beginning ballet is how far you want to go.  Do you want to learn the absolute correct technique and be training at a professional level (you likely will find yourself dancing with very young children at first in these studios)?

If not, there are also many studios that aren't professional, but do have great beginner adult classes.

You can also try something such as Pure Barre if you are searching for the benefits of ballet, without the competition.

In this article I'm going to focus on 10 tips for your first ballet class at a professional studio or mid-level studio, since this is where I have the most experience!

1)  Check out the studios website and find their dress code.  Most studios require black leotards (this is one of my favorite flattering adult leos) with either pink or black ballet tights and pink ballet slippers!

Source: Unknown





















2) Wear your hair in a bun (if it's long enough).  Even if it's not required, your hair WILL get in the way and be detrimental to your focus.

3) Purchase your ballet tights at an actual ballet store.  My favorite are these soft pale pink Capezio tights.  Ballet tights are thicker and more durable = less runs and more coverup.  They are also made without the strange patterns on the thighs that you get from non ballet tights. 

4) You will be completely confused for your first…many…classes.  Ballet changes your entire body, you now have to turn out, hold your arms different, remember a thousand different french words and what they mean, and learn to dance to classical music.  Don't give up!  Once you begin to "get it" you will be on top of the world, and remember no one ever reaches "perfection" in ballet, though we never stop striving for it.

5) If a leotard and tights is the uniform, don't wear underwear!  It's impossible to avoid panty lines in leo's and people will see your underwear through your tights.  If you don't feel comfortable in just a leo and tights, most teachers don't mind when dancers where ballet skirts

6) Ballet class étiquette: Never talk to your peers during class, and raise your hand if you have a question.  Ballet instructors are highly respected and the ballet world is a bit harsher than real world. At Metropolitan Ballet Academy there won't be a word muttered for the entire three hour class, only focus and intense concentration.

7) If you don't like feet, you're in for a struggle - get used to talking, looking, breathing, feet.  Being a ballerina is painful and the pain is something that you grow to love. 

8) Many ballet studios require certain types of ballet slippers, which should be listed on the website.  However, if you have a choice, most ballerina's choose canvas vs. leather slippers.  The canvas slippers show off your point better, and look nice for a longer period of time.

9) Never buy ballet shoes from Payless. They might be inexpensive, but the ballet slipper is something that you won't want to compromise on. 

10) Enjoy your class!  Even if your overwhelmed, give it a few tries, ballet is an art that is absolutely beautiful and is extremely rewarding, physically and mentally!

I would love to know!  Have you tried adult ballet?  What tips would you add to this list?  Leave a link to your blog with your tip and I'd love to include it in an upcoming adult ballet post!


Plus..a throwback to this old post on ballet from before I started ballet!

31 comments:

  1. I had my first ballet class today at the age of 18 too! and it was an amazing experience! pretty confusing and i did feel embarrassed when i got bits wrong and being surrounded by people in leotards & buns! this post is really helpful, and motivational to just do it and never give up! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh that sounds amazing! Keep going strong and stick with it, you'll catch up quickly if your dedicated :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. even though you entered at that age did you become flexible? because i really want to enter a ballet class but im afraid that i won't be flexible at all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flexibility is definitely achieveable as an adult! Once you start stretching daily (it's important to do it continuously to maintain muscle elasticity), you'll notice a huge improvement! I went from not being able to do the splits on either side, to being able to completely do the splits on my right side and almost completely on my left. Go for it! It will be hard at first, but challenges are what help you meet the end goal :)

      Delete
  4. have you worn pointe shoes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do! I started pointe a year after I began ballet. The first time I took a pointe class I couldn't believe how challenging it was, but the struggle is worth it! I now take a 45 minutes pointe class after an hour of barre and an hour of center. The most important thing, especially going into it as an adult, is increasing the strength in your feet. Doing exercises with therabands and simple releve's in first and second position repetitiously will help immensely!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in my 40s....and I've been dancing on and off in various forms casually. But this is so different....my whole thought process has changed. I enjoy it. I don't expect to be professional but I certainly try hard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Im 60. Started at 15. I was too old to be a beginner back in the dark age - but i still take class and still passionate like it was my first day. The 10 tips for Adult Class are perfect. The "no talking" in class is because its the sacred space of the teacher. Say a quiet thank you for a barre correction and - etiquette tip - take the whole class to the reverance - its not a gym class - its an art.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hii i am 19 y.o. and i will begin classes the next july , very excited :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm 31 and I just had my first ballet lesson today.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I started an adult beginner class a month ago, and I'm already completely hooked! I've always wanted to do ballet from when I was little but never got the chance before

    ReplyDelete
  11. I took my first class last year at 52! Never danced before. It's hard to describe how beneficial it is to a body. To my surprise, the most challenging is to synchronize all diffrent moves for hands with feet (kind of like playing percussion), and memorizing the sequences of the steps. Flexibility?, don't be scared, just practice, just go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You never see any articles pertaining to guys wanting to take a ballet class as an adult... /: I'm 17 and looking to learn ballet because of an insanely fun class I took in HS; any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  13. You never see any articles pertaining to guys wanting to take a ballet class as an adult... /: I'm 17 and looking to learn ballet because of an insanely fun class I took in HS; any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  14. NEVER chew gum! It's not nice for your teacher to see students chewing and it can be stuck up your throat when jumping.
    Go to the bathroom before or after class. If you go during class you'll disturb everyone's concentration. And your own...
    And of course: don't argue with your teacher if you don't agree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Thank for the added tips - these are both such great additions!

      Delete
  15. NEVER chew gum! It's not nice for your teacher to see students chewing and it can be stuck up your throat when jumping.
    Go to the bathroom before or after class. If you go during class you'll disturb everyone's concentration. And your own...
    And of course: don't argue with your teacher if you don't agree.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We have just started offering an adult dance class in our studio and have had an amazing response. Moms, friends, neighbors all of any age are enjoying it so much! I love your tips to create confidence and remember to have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello I am between ballet schools a single for adults for 6 months and another with mixed ages did not know the difference until the explanation, in fact my goal is not professional but if all that can be achieved my age,What do you advise me that is better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would recommend mixed classes! It is incredibly helpful for beginner dancers to watch the artistry and technique of advanced dancers. The growth I have experienced from dancing in mixed classes has been huge in comparison to classes where everyone is the same age. It is also just fun to be apart of a group that has many different levels...there is less comparison and more encouragement! Good luck :)

      Delete
  18. sorry for my english, i speak spanish.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi, I loved this post because you see, I used to learn ballet in a young age and stopped while I was 11 years old, I was grade 4 back then. Now, i really regret that i had stopped ballet. My old ballet class friends were all on pointe already, I regret it pretty much because if I haven't stop ballet, I would have dancing in point shoes...Dancing in point shoes were always my life goals.I tried convincing my mother but it never worked. Now I'm 16, would love to try ballet agian when I have the opportunity and money to afford the class by myself. Would love to try it while I'm 18,I'll have to start off practicing flexibility.Thanks for sharing this post by the way

    ReplyDelete
  20. Okayyy... I have a question... Im 15, and really like really unstreachy... im strugeling to even touch my toes.... Do you think I could still start ballet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It will help with flexibility too. Bending to touch toes is something to work toward, not the starting point. A good teacher will also show you how to stretch gently without hurting yourself. When working toward flexibility, always warm up before stretching too. Good luck!

      Delete
    2. Jillybean is right - you don't need to begin ballet with peak flexibility! It will develop as you train, and finding a great teacher that will help you safely achieve your goals is important. I have found that adding yoga classes to my training has helped immensely as well - with flexibility, confidence, and balance in ballet class! Good luck!

      Delete
  21. I'm 51 and started dancing three weeks ago as an adult beginner. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is incredible to hear! Congratulations. I wish you the best of luck!

      Delete
    2. I started at 60 when my dad was very sick and I was helping to take care of him. Ballet was my way to escape losing my father. I had always wanted to take lessons but never felt confident enough. I absolutely love it and wish I had been doing it all along. However, I had to find the perfect teacher...And I have!!! It's been almost two years..I adore it!

      Delete
  22. In January I am starting up Ballet classes for Seniors where the age starts at 70 (me) and goes to 81 (so far). These ladies all love the grace, the music and the sheer joy of moving even at their advanced ages. Sheer joy!

    ReplyDelete

Hi Pretties - leave a comment and you'll forever have a place in my heart <3